A tenuous link exists between that “cathedral of Welsh nonconformity”, Tabernacle in Morriston, and the world of motor racing. Built in 1872 at a cost of £15000 by local tinplate manufacturer Daniel Edwards, it was this same fortune that enabled his great-grandson Sir John Clive Leighton Edwards to pursue a motor racing career which, although undistinguished, earned him WB’s plaudit as being “the best type of amateur competitor“.
Clive Edwards was born at Hendrefoilan, Sketty on 11th October 1916 and by his sixth birthday had already inherited both a title and great wealth. Before the war he competed in an R-type MG and afterwards in two HRGs, the best remembered of which was a 1767cc Lea-Francis engined 1100-type single seater with twin rear-wheels. He also competed in the London-Brighton run in his 1900 New Orleans.
Edwards moved to the Isle of Man where he lived with his great friend Bob Thomas, his Milntown estate being situated next to the TT circuit on the outskirts of Ramsey. Sir Clive died on 19th February 1999, the house and grounds being left in trust for the benefit of the Manx public.