According to Michael Foot's biography Nye Bevan had a Radnorshire mother. In reality Phoebe Protheroe was born in Tredegar. Her people were from Glasbury though, that part of the parish south of the Wye purloined by Brecknockshire in 1832. Clearly Bevan's family can't have approved that act of theft.
George Lansbury actually made it to the leadership of the Labour Party and he certainly had a Radnorian mother, she was from Clyro. Lansbury was proud of his Radnorshire roots, he was also the grandfather of actress Angela Lansbury and of Oliver Postgate - creator of the Clangers.
Perhaps our readers would like to guess at the identity of a third noted left-wing politician with local connections:
1. Born in Merthyr in 1894, his mother, Emily Lewis, came from the Radnorshire village of Penybont.
2. Imprisoned in 1917 for sedition.
3. Came within 3000 votes of winning Rhondda East for the Communist Party.
4. Took part in the 1916 Easter Rising.
5. General Secretary of the NUM from 1946 to 1959.
You should have got it by now, otherwise click here for the answer.